Monday 27 January 2014

introduction-trying to cope with RA.

as many of you know, that suffer with RA, life can be tough.
I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis at age 17,  a delicate age, where lets say I would rather have been out having fun and thinking about my future in a positive way.
Rheumatoid arthritis is not the same type of athritis as 'old people' have. I think many people get confused with different types of athritis and don't often know what an impact it can have on someones life. In some cases we are told to just get on with it. 
Each day someone who has RA, wakes up with morning stiffness, sometimes this can last up to nearly lunchtime, the pain doesn't wear off but can be temporarily cured by painkillers and medication that a rheumatologist or GP has prescribed. 
I have to say, that the only medication I seem to agree with is Prednisolone, I am not 100% keen on this drug, it has many side effects and also a higher risk of heart failure for someone also with chd.
I have to take each day as it comes, I am lucky enough and grateful enough to lead as much of a normal life as I can, being a mum and a wife, yet I don't work and have to be careful how much physical activity I can do. It's hard to explain to your little girl why you cannot go on the walk to the local shops and help the class. 
It is a shame, as I know it's important to exercise and keep healthy and fit with RA. Some days though it is just not worth the risk.
Sometimes, having RA does affect your identity. You have many limitations, sometimes if the disease is not monitored and treated straight away this can cause some joints to become deformed. 
When we live in such a 'barbie let's look fantastic' world, for RA sufferers and those with illness, this can affect our outlook on life and how we feel about ourselves. 
I try to think of 5 things to be thankful for and my faith gets me through things and to look past the 'barbie fantastic world' we live in. Although, I am not sure I will ever be able to accept it as part of my life...we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment